Thursday, January 13, 2011

43 HOURS

43 hours after I left Cape Town, I arrived in Hawaii, tired, but stoked to be here.
Heres what went down the last 43 hours:
  • Left CT 2hours to JHB
  • 4 hour layover - hour on the runway waiting
  • 17 hours 15 mins later, arrive in atlanta with an hour to get my connecting flight
  • eventually get my bags 15 mins after my flight was supposed to leave - luckily it had been cancelled just like the majority of other flights

one of six screens that all said cancelled
the reason why everything was cancelled
  • get told to wait in a long line, decide to mission rather, find a shorter line, pick up a phone to speak to a delta agent - she tells me there is a straight flight to hawaii leaving in an hour (first bit of good news)(keep in mind im grumpy after a long flight)
  • so instead of going to salt lake city then hawaii, i book a straight flight there which includes food. bonus
  • que more bad news. 2 flight attendants havent pitched yet. we have to wait for them. 3 hours and ten mins after we were supposed leave, we leave.

plane sunset an hour before i land in Honolulu
  • i get to hawaii at 19:05 after a 10 hour long flight
  • go to the carousle to get my bags
  • bags dont come out
  • i get told its still in atlanta and will only be here tomorrow evening. great.
  • wattsy takes me all the way to cleggys place - finally i can relax. 43 hours later.
Now all that brings me to today....PIPE
Cleggy lends me his board, finds Jerry's old fins, give me a pair of boardies and Spex lends me a leash.
We get down there at first light. Its pumping!

I got a few good ones with only myself, Cleggy, Mike Murphy and Brian Wise out for like an hour. Then the crowds came.
I decided to call it the end of my first session and whilst looking for a wave out, i found myself sitting in the wrong place! Mike Stewart was on a solid 8ft top to bottom one and was pulling straight. i was right under it. i bailed my board and didnt have time to de-leash and dived as deep as i could. i got so worked. came up and missioned out, feeling rattled. Fortunately i didnt hit the bottom too hard and i cape up with a slight scratch on my foot. Unfortunately cleggys board got creased and spex's leash can now be used as a surfers leash!

I cant wait to get my own stuff!

Heres some pics i snapped from today.
mine and cleggy's zone

3rd reefer?

a lil nug - unkown

1 comment:

  1. Hey Jazz, now that the journey is behind you and your baggage not too far behind you, there is loads of fun ahead of you. If you can send an address, would like to check your place out on google maps, and a contact number and a time I can call you, give your time I have the conversion on my desktop. Chat soon love and miss you

    ReplyDelete